Working in partnership with Health and Adult Services, Children and Young People's Services and other local housing support and accommodation providers, Scarborough Council deal with all 16-25 year olds through a Hub that is based at Foundation Housing.
The young people's housing solutions@ the hub is in your area to assist with all issues around housing and homelessness.
- Support if you are a young person aged between 16-25 and are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
- General housing advice and support around issues like benefits and managing a tenancy.
- Offer you support and help to stay in your own home where it is safe and appropriate to do so.
However, we know staying at home isn't always suitable or possible so we offer a range of accommodation and support services.
Staff in the hub will
- Talk you through everything and make sure you have a clear understanding of your options so you can make an informed choice.
- Answer any questions you have.
- Take into account your wishes and feelings.
- Provide you with a support worker who will help you through the entire process.
As parents have parental responsibility until their child is 18, they will always be contacted by the Council or Foundation Housing for clarification of circumstances. If a young person presents as homeless Scarborough Borough Council will offer to refer people with relationship problems to mediation services, to try to solve their problems even if only in the short term.
Due to the lack of affordable accommodation in the Borough of Scarborough, many people feel they have no choice but to declare friends/relatives as 'homeless' in the belief it will help them. However there is a severe lack of housing available and attempts to solve housing problems must be sought first.
SASH - Safe and Sound Homes
The Council may refer young single homeless people to an organisation called 'SASH' where a night stop placement will be organised. Transport, meal and a bed for the night are provided by volunteers within their home. All referrals come through the hub at Foundation Housing or Scarborough Borough Council.
SASH - Supported Lodgings
SASH also offer supported lodgings in the Borough of Scarborough for young people referred to us via the Housing Hub. Young people placed with a SASH host live in the home of a carefully recruited host, for up to two years. The host and project workers support young people to develop their independence skills, such as budgeting and basic cooking. The host provides a suitable room of their own, breakfast and an evening meal daily.
The young people are encouraged to continue/ begin an education programme/ job and can be referred for additional specialist support with personal issues they wish to work on. All referrals come through the hub at Foundation Housing.
Foundation offer support to obtain and maintain accommodation in the Borough of Scarborough. Foundation are the lead provider of accommodation and support for young people in the Borough of Scarborough, through the Hub.
Foundation have a variety of accommodation ranging from Poplar Villa, a Hostel that is staffed 24 hours per day, to independent accommodation in the Scarborough area. Foundation also support people when they are released from prison and work in partnership with North Yorkshire Probation Service to deliver this service, either in managed properties or floating support. All referrals come through the hub.
Horton Housing can support both singles and couples by providing one to one support for people who are:
- Aged 18 or over, and living in the Borough of Scarborough.
- Vulnerable and in need of housing-related support to enable you to move towards or continue in independent living. (You may be vulnerable as a result of age, mental illness, substance misuse, family breakdown or another factor that is affecting your ability to maintain your accommodation).
Drop in centres are Friday 10:00am – 11:30am at Rainbow Centre, Castle Road, Scarborough. Tel 01723 861913
22 Victoria Road
Telephone: 01723 361100