A private hire operator's licence allows the holder to receive bookings (by telephone or other means) and to send private hire vehicles for pre-arranged hire.
Both the vehicle and driver sent to complete the booking must also be licensed by us.
In order to be a lawful private hire operator, you must have the following licences in place:
- Private hire operator's licence
- Private hire vehicle licence for all vehicles involved in private hire work
- Dual driver's licence for all persons driving any licensed private hire vehicles
Application evaluation process
The operator’s licence will remain in force for a period of five years unless we specify a lesser period, revoke or suspend the licence. The licence is not transferable.
There shall be sufficient off-street parking made available for the number of vehicles to which the application relates.
If you have a second ‘satellite’ base as an operator’s office (whether it is a business or residential address) within the same controlled district, let us know and it will be added to your licence. We reserve the right to charge for every additional office.
With the application form you will need to include:
- Appropriate fee
- Details of off street parking
Please note it is the applicant’s responsibility to contact the planning department regarding planning permission.
- You must tell us of any change of vehicle details that is different to those stated on the current licence.
- You must tell us in writing about of drivers within 48 hours.
- You must tell us within 7 days about of home address whether permanent or temporary.
- You must tell us in writing about any intended change of business premises.
Renewal applications are sent out 8-10 weeks before licence expiry.
If you do not receive your renewal application 6 weeks before expiry, please contact us on 01723 232323 or email email@example.com to request a replacement to be sent to you.