Running a lottery including raffles, tombolas, sweepstakes and more.
What is a lottery?
A lottery is a kind of gambling which has three essential ingredients:
- You have to pay to enter the game
- There is always at least one prize
- Prizes are awarded purely on chance
Small Society Lotteries - issued by us
- The society must be set up for non-commercial purposes eg sports, cultural or charitable.
- There is a top limit of £20,000 in ticket sales.
Large Society Lotteries - issued by the Gambling Commision
- Similar to the small society lottery, but there is a minimum of £20,0000 in ticket sales.
If you wish to apply for a small society lottery licence, please see the attachments below. Further guidance is available from the Gambling Commission website.
Right of appeal
Any appeal against a refusal to grant or the revocation of a registration must be made to a Magistrates Court within 21 days of receiving notice of the decision.
The Magistrates may:
(a) affirm the decision of the Licensing Authority;
(b) reverse the decision of the Licensing Authority;
(c) make any other order.